October 21, 2013 – Norton, Kansas – The 3rd Annual Governor’s Ringneck Classic pheasant hunting event will take place November 14-17 in Norton and Graham Counties. The pheasant hunting event will include organized hunts, trap/clay shooting, the Governor’s reception featuring a performance by Morgan Frazier and awards dinner. Additionally, kids ages 12-16 are eligible to apply for the Classic. Two youth will be selected to participate, and the application deadline is October 18, 2013. For more information about the event, visit www.kansasringneckclassic.com.
The Kansas Governor’s Ringneck Classic was designed to draw regional and national attention to hunting tourism in Kansas by Governor Brownback in 2011. “My top priority is to grow the state’s economy. Key to that is capitalizing on the competitive advantages our state has,” Governor Brownback stated. “Kansas is consistently ranked as one of the top three states in the country for pheasant hunting. This is an underutilized asset for our rural communities. If we do a better job telling folks about the quality of hunting available here in Kansas, we will pull more of those tourism dollars into Kansas.” Oakley hosted the 2011 inaugural hunt and the 2012 hunt. Starting in year 2013, the hunt began a rotation among several northwestern communities.
Thursday, November 14
- Arrival and Registration for hunters beginning at 1:00pm
- Trap / Sporting Clay open from 1:00pm until 5:00pm
- Guide, Landowner and Hunter Reception at 6:00pm
Friday, November 15
- Governor’s “Sporting Clay Tournament” from 10:00am to 3:00pm
- Open Trap Shooting from 10:00am to 3:00pm
- Hunter and Guide Meeting 3:30pm
- Governor’s Reception from 6:00pm to 10:00pm, including performance by Morgan Frazier
Saturday, November 16
- “Governor’s Hunt” 9:00am to 4:00pm
- Awards Dinner, including keynote address by Scott Linden, TV host for “Wingshooting USA” and performance by Johnny Lee 6:00pm to 10:00pm
Sunday, November 17
- Additional upland bird hunting for those interested!
For more information, contact Scott Sproul or Tara Vance, Norton City/County Economic Development and Chamber of Commerce at 785-874-4816 or 785-877-2501.